For the cake
For the cake
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/8 tsp fsalt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 6 tablespoons milk
For the Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 60 butter, softened
- 60g cream cheese
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cream or full-cream milk
- Heerlijk Nastergal
- Candied Lemons (see recipe below)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease, flour and line your mini cake tins.
- Combine the olive oil and sugar in a medium bowl and mix with a hand-held mixer until light & fluffy - around 2 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla, lemon juice and zest then continue beating for around 20 seconds more until well-combined.
- Sift in the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl, add the milk and gently mix until everything is fully combined.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared cake tins and bake for around 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove the cakelettes from the oven and place on a cooling rack for around 10 minutes, then carefully remove the cakelettes from their tins.
- While the cakelettes are cooling make the buttercream by combining all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and beating with a hand-held mixer until light, fluffy and smooth.
- Finish the cakelette off by sandwiching it together with a few spoonfuls of Heerlijk Nastergal surrounded by buttercream.
- Continue icing the cake by covering it with buttercream and smoothing around the edges (you might want to place the cakelette in the fridge if it’s too warm in your kitchen and you feel like the buttercream is too soft.)
- Decorate with candied lemons and fresh berries.
Recipe development & photography by Nicky Barber